I love hummus and admittedly eat it almost every single day. It's such an easy, delicious and healthy plant-based protein snack. Seriously who doesn't like hummus? What is my favorite hummus you ask? This exact basic no-oil hummus recipe right here is the base of all my hummus masterpieces.
This recipe is tangy, low-fat (no oil), protein rich and creamy dreamy delicious. There are a few secrets to this dip: a touch of nutritional yeast, a small amount of soaked cashews and lots of lemon juice. I use tahini like most of the hummus makers out there as well. Garbanzo beans are a favorite snacks and so versatile in nature. What is your favorite bean?
Side note: Do you feel like beans make you super gassy or bloated? Truth is - you don't eat them enough (for most people - some are actually allergic to beans). Most people need the fiber when they eat protein but meat doesn't have any fiber at all. So the food doesn't move through the intestines fast enough. When those used to eating meat suddenly "cold turkey" (haha pun intended) start on a plant-based diet they complain that they don't like the diet because they can't live with a pooch-y tummy. Good news is - it will go away once your gut gets healthy and you slowly start to get that old food moving out of the intestines. Haha eeewwww! 😝 But it's the truth.
Now that you got this big old batch of basic oil-free hummus what the heck will you do with all of it? Share it for sure. Make sure every family enjoys your oil-free hummus because it's a really healthy snack. Dip veggies in it or even your favorite chips, crackers or naan. Today I'm going to share my favorite way to eat this basic hummus. My lunch idea adds even more nutrition to your meal. What is it you ask: a delicious veggie wrap filled to the brim with healthy greens! As we all must know by now, greens are also a great form of roughage (great for digestion and moving food through the system) and they are full of micro nutrients, protein, minerals, vitamins, antioxidants and more.
Let me know how you enjoy eating your hummus and what your favorite spices or flavors are to add. If you make my recipe I'd love to see your creations. Please share them with me on Instagram and tag me: @purekitchenblog ! I'd so appreciate it and I will feature your photo in my instagram story!
Basic Creamy No-Oil Hummus Recipe
yields approx 1 cup
- 1 can garbanzo beans, reserve 1 Tbsp liquid (discard the rest)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp liquid inside of the garbanzo bean can
- 1/4 cup raw cashews, soaked for an hour
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- optional flavors to add: paprika, cumin, cracked pepper or sriracha
- Place all ingredients into a food processor or high speed blender (I've used a Magic Bullet for his before and it works great).
- Blend well until super creamy and not too many large garbanzo beans chunks.
- Have fun with the flavors - I love sriracha in this recipe. But cumin and paprika used together are really awesome as well.
Hummus & Greens Wrap Recipe
yields 1 wrap
- 2 Tbsp basic no-oil hummus (recipe above)
- 1 Tbsp vegan mayo
- 1/4 cup kale, finely chopped
- 1 cup red leaf lettuce, chopped
- 1 carrot, cut into long thin slices
- gluten-free tortilla of choice (I use Free 2 Be but coconut wraps are also delicious)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a bowl combine the finely chopped kale with a drop or two of olive oil and massage it well. This will soften the kale.
- Place your tortilla on a flat surface. Spread the hummus and then the vegan mayo.
- Place the greens and carrots on top of the sauces. Carefully wrap the tortilla up.
- Enjoy and feel free to add your own veggies or flavors or herbs to this as well.