Guys this salad is really really good. And it's so simple and easy to make. The peppers are just quickly roasted in the oven while you're prepping everything else. And the rice can be made in a rice cooker or F it, just microwave the frozen stuff - done in just 3 minutes. And the tempeh is quick quick quick.
All you need is a frying pan, a cookie sheet and big ol' bowl to toss it all up in. The ricotta cheese takes some time but if you're in a hurry just use the store bought stuff. Kite Hill - if you have access to it - is the bomb!
But, I do have to say that I'm totally obsessed with making my own ricotta cheese. I don't do dairy, of course, so mine is made from almonds or macadamia nuts. I have a recipe for homemade ricotta coming in March but if you would like the recipe early, subscribe to my newsletter and the recipe will come directly to your inbox. Woohoo! Trust me you'll love making; It's so easy.
You can eat it with a drizzle of honey or add some sea salt and herbs. Try smoked paprika or garlic for a funky flair. Anyways, enough about ricotta. Sorry for that daydream. Back to this super awesome salad that will impress anybody and you'll be so happy you made it because it's uber healthy!
Many of my friends are on a no rice post-holiday diet. If that's you, just omit the rice and add tons of arugula instead. Or if you have time whip up some cauliflower rice. Mmmmm!
There's nothing better than rice, sea salt, olive oil and HERBS. I adore chopped herbs. If you follow any of my recipes you'll know they are pretty much in or on top of everything I make. That and chopped nuts. Not only do they make things look pretty but they add an enormous amount of flavor and a little vitamin boost.
This salad serves about 3 people. My husband, babysitter and I devoured this dish for lunch today. It doesn't taste like diet food at all, but it really does check all diet boxes:
no fried foods
no packaged foods
loads of vegetables
And so on...
Feel free to have fun with personalizing this dish. You can use mushrooms and also brussels sprouts. Use spinach in place of arugula, etc. But I like it just the way it is.
Crumbled Tempeh Recipe
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 package tempeh, cut and then crumbled
- 2 tsp harissa spice paste
- 2-3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 3 Tbsp tamari
- In a warm skillet add 1 Tbsp olive oil and chopped shallots. Cook until they are translucent and starting to brown. (about 3-4 minutes). Stirring occasionally so that some do not burn.
- Once they brown add the rest of the olive oil. Add the crumbled tempeh, garlic, tamari and harissa spice.
- Cook on medium heat stirring once with a metal spatula. Let it cook for a few minutes and brown on the bottom (about 2-3 minutes). Then stir again. And scrape with a spatula. Keep doing this until the moisture and oils are all soaked in and tempeh looks nicely browned, dry and cooked.
- Turn off heat. Set aside.
Roasted Pepper Recipe
- 1/2 lb Small Sweet Peppers (or just regular bell peppers)
- oil for greasing the pan
- salt + pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 420 Degrees F.
- Grease the pan with olive or coconut oil.
- Cut the peppers into little strips.
- Lay them flat, not overlapping each other. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
- Cook until they soften and maybe get a tad brown on the edges. About 10-12 minutes.
Arugula Rice Recipe
- 3-4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup wild arugula, chopped
- 3 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tsp olive oil
- pinch of salt + pepper
Herbed Ricotta Cheese
- 1/2 cup homemade almond or macadamia nut ricotta cheese* (or store bought Kite Hill ricotta or other vegan ricotta style cheese. Or you can use regular feta or goat milk)
- 3 Tbsp chopped herbs like chives and parsley
- pinch sea salt
- In a bowl combine cheese, herbs and sea salt.
- Gently fold until thoroughly mixed.
FINAL SALAD ARRANGEMENT
- Combine the baked peppers, cooked tempeh and arugula rice.
- Toss with vegan herbed ricotta cheese* or regular goat or feta cheese.
- Garnish with herbs and more toasted sesame seeds.
- Serve warm.
*For my macadamia nut ricotta cheese recipe please sign up for my newsletter. I have a great recipe free when you subscribe.