I just got back from a few nights in Portland, Oregon to celebrate my sisters big four oh. Wow, what a special day. We had a nice time at the Enso urban winery / tasting room. It was a lovely venue if you're looking for throwing a party in the area. The wine was really good.
And then I flew back on Sunday, missing my sister and her family. It's so nice to be able to getaway from my own kids and family sometimes. It's a definite recharge. And I got to spend time with my nieces and sister without having a baby screaming at me or my boys needing something. That connection is important if even only every few years.
While I was up in Oregon I made dinner for all six of us adults. And there wasn't much in the fridge, but I made do with potatoes, lentils, broccoli and brussel sprouts. To make the meal more exciting I whipped up a honey mustard dressing to pour over it. The dressing was great! And I've made it 4 times since then (and it's only been 3 days, ha, it's that good).
For this blog post I wanted to pair it with quinoa and cabbage. The garbanzo bean croutons were an after thought and made the salad that much better. My kids even loved it and so did our baby sitter. It's a really simple, clean but festive salad. Bring it to your New Years eve pot luck or even Christmas day celebration. It's a guilt-free dish that everybody will rave about. See my YouTube video tutorial at the bottom of this post for more details.
Honey Mustard Dressing
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp vinegar
- 2 1/2 Tbsp honey
- 2 1/2 Tbsp stone ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3 cloves garlic
- Put everything in a high speed blender.
- Blend until super cream. (or you can also just whisk it together, but I love using my blender)
Garbanzo Bean Croutons
- 1 can garbanzo or cooked garbanzo beans. Drained/strained/dried
- Spice mix (1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp chili powder)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp tamari
- 2 clove raw garlic, minced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 Degrees F
- Line baking/cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Bake for 20 minutes
Quinoa + Cabbage Salad
yields 3 side dishes or 2 dinner meals
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 Cup baby kale or spinach
- 2 Tbsp chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced purple cabbage
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped or raisins
- toasted almonds
- 1/2 of the Mustard Dressing above (add more to taste)
- Garbanzo Bean croutons
- Cook quinoa in a rice cooker with equal parts water. OR cook according to package.
- In a large serving bowl add warm quinoa, greens and cabbage. Toss everything with salad tongs. Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Toss again so the dressing coats the salad.
- Serve. Top with fresh herbs and more toasted almonds.
Happy Holidays! Hope you all have a safe, cozy and family-filled holiday.