I'm so happy it's Fall because that means it's time to bring out the slow cooker [ <-- affiliate link to my favorite one]. This kitchen device makes my life so easy; I swear by it. I know slow cookers are often used for meat dishes, but it's really not necessary. You do not have to be a carnivore to reap the benefits of the crock pot. Nor do you have to be an awesome cook. That's the best part. And you can literally dump whatever you have in your fridge into it along with dry beans, starchy vegetables or grains and some spices.
Not to mention it took me 10 minutes to chop, measure and throw my ingredients together. The dishes were minimal (no annoying greasy pans) and then all I had to do was hit a button (as opposed to watching the oven so things don't burn or constantly stirring my sauce pans). Genius!
This recipe is:
Sweet Potato Lentil Crock Pot Stew
yields 4-5 large bowl
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 1/2 cup brown lentils
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups sweet potato or butter nut squashed (seeds removed and chopped)
- 2 zucchinis or carrots (chopped or spiralized)
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 6-8 cups vegetable stock or water (and use the bouillon cubes or 2 tsp bouillon paste)
- 2 Tbsp miso paste
- 2 teaspoons herbs de provence
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
Topping / Garnish:
- Vegan sour cream for garnish
- Herbs like thyme or fresh cilantro
- Toasted nuts or seeds
1) To your crock pot / slow cooker, add all the chopped veggies. You can get creative with the vegetables here. Mix and match vegetables that you have on hand. You don't have to use the exact vegetables I recommend.
2) Add the lentils and rice.
3) Add the broth or water and bouillon.
4) Add the spices and sea salt. Again, you can get creative here. Use your favorite spices. You don't have to use the ones I suggest but they sure are delicious.
5) Set the crock-pot on high for 3-4 hours.
6) Garnish with toasted seeds or nuts, fresh herbs and sour cream or yogurt (I used vegan sour cream).
Recipe loosely based off of Pinch Of Yum Detox Stew.