This was lunch yesterday. It might look gourmet but don't let looks fool you. These simple vegetable tacos were so easy to make, delicious and totally healthy. There is absolutely no cooking involved (except toasting of the cashews which can be done in advance).
I prefer to eat lunch at home. Whether it big a big loaded sandwich; rice with avocado and zoodles; a massive smoothie; hummus toast topped with spinach; or something a tad more creative - it's best at home. I save money and I know exactly what is going into the meal. Not only that but it is a lot quicker than driving or walking to a restaurant, ordering, standing in line and ten waiting again. Making these tacos and doing the dishes took me less than 20 minutes.
The cashews can be done in advance and kept in an air tight container all week long. Add them to any dish for added flavor and super power crunch. Cashews are high in healthy fats and protein. The smoked paprika and coriander seeds add a massive flavor explosion.
I'm so obsessed with both those spices lately. I don't usually use them together though. So this was a fun one.
This recipe makes 2 individual tacos. You could make it 3 if you proportion the ingredients out a more efficiently. But it's meant to feed just one person or two if you're not starving.
The herbs and cabbage make up the majority of the taco. The avocado and cashews act as the "meat". These tacos are
CABBAGE + AVOCADO TACOS
Yields 2 - 3 Tacos
2 cups thinly chopped cabbage
1 scallion (green onion) thinly sliced (dark green dry part discarded)
1 lime, juice only
1 teaspoon seasoned rice vinegar
1/2 teaspoon agave nectar (optional)
pinch sea salt
1/2 tsp olive oil or sesame oil
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 avocado, sliced into wedges
Basil and mint leaves or cilantro if you have it
2 or 3 soft corn tortillas
Smoky Paprika Cashews (recipe below)
- Mix first 7 ingredients in a small bowl with spoon until mixed well and cabbage is thoroughly coated. Set aside.
- Warm tortillas in a pan on low heat (flipping once) or in the microwave (for 20 seconds)
- Layer the tortilla with herbs first. Then cabbage. Then avocado. Top with a handful of smoky cashews.
SMOKY PAPRIKA CASHEWS
1 12oz bag whole raw cashews
1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp coriander seeds
3/4 tsp agave nectar or cane sugar
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp jalapeno or ground cayenne spice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a large bowl combine cashews and all of the other ingredients at once.
- Toss and coat; repeat.
- Once the cashews are completely coated in the seasonings, place them onto a baking sheet.
- Cook in the oven for about 10-12 minutes until browned but not black.
- Let them cool for about 5 minutes before eating. They will be super crunchy once they are completely cooled.
Note: The bowl you use to coat the cashews can be used to toss the cabbage. That's what I did. Saves me some dish washing and the flavors are similar to what goes into the cabbage mixture anyways.
I would LOVE if you took the time to Pin my recipe to your Pinterest board. Or better yet, if you make, leave me a comment and let me know how it was. I really appreciate feedback. Also - you can tag me on instagram @julinovotny if you take a snap shot.